Christmas has snuck up on me this year – it’s true what they say, the older you are the faster time flies! But I couldn’t be happier to see the tubby little man in his red suit! With the big day fast approaching it had me thinking about why I love this time of year so much – heres a handful of reasons – hopefully if you’re not already with me on the festive train – you will be after reading this;
1. Getting extremely pissed off when you take a step back to find a huge naked spot on the tree after threading over 2000 lights in & out and up & down. But in the end after hanging all the baubles and adding your tree topper – you Get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside knowing how cosy the room is going to be each evening. Combine your glorious tree with some festive candles in every room and its a winning combination for a homely evening in – we love a hot toddy in the kitchen, a festive tree fragrance in the living room (as we don’t have a real tree it makes us feel as though we do) we go with gingerbread or something foodie in the dining room too – its HEAVEN!
2. Not having to turn a single light on in the house because your Christmas tree is a glowing beacon of light for the whole street to see! Its the perfect amount of light for a nap on the sofa on a Sunday afternoon 🙂
3. You can say “Arrggh F*** it – its Christmas” and that be an excuse for anything and everything; Day drinking – its Christmas! Day napping – its Christmas! – A tin of Quality Street for breakfast – F*** IT – ITS CHRISTMASSSSSSS!
4. Everyone is happy and jolly for at least a 2 week period – In the UK its probably one of the only times of the year you give well wishes to complete strangers – and it makes me feel warm inside.
5. The Coca Cola advert – I don’t think I need to elaborate on this one do I? As soon as you here that “Holidays are coming!” jingle – YOU KNOW THAT TREE SHOULD BE UP ALREADY! As Christmas has officially arrived!
6. Food shopping just got a whole lot more exciting – the seasonal isles are a weakness for my household!! Twiglets, chocolate coins, Fox’s biscuit selection boxes & shortbread usually find their way into my basket.
7. Naff yet comfortable christmas jumpers are acceptable, I’m a sucker for a jumper at the best of times and my Christmas themed jumper collection is creeping up year by year. I love how traditional or trashy Christmas jumpers can bring joy to so many.
8. Traditional pub sessions – because its rude not to drink a sherry in the local on Christmas Eve right?!
9. Its completely acceptable – almost expected! To have at least 75% of your fridge taken up by cheese! Nothing beats a cheese board at Christmas!
10. Christmas markets – where else would you get your Christmas cheese from!? The carol singers, the free wine and cider samples – the big ass Christmas trees, its the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit (shameless plug; check out my post on Bath Christmas Market).
11. I love nothing more that online shopping – I don’t have to put a bra on and I can do it while diving into a tub of truffles! So Christmas shopping for me is 90% done online – its healthier for my anxiety. I love the feeling of coming home to deliveries it makes me so happy! Christmas is the perfect time to curb this craving of mine.
12. Christmas Day its self – when you are sat around the family table and realise how similar to The Royle Family your family actually is – don’t get this twisted with the real Royals either – I mean Denise, Dave, Jim and our Babs!! When you see your niece sneaking her roasties onto her brothers plate so she doesn’t get shouted at for picking all morning and not eating all her dinner! And your sister can’t help but crack ANOTHER bottle open – then theres your mam who’s been slaving away all morning and finally sits down to her cold dinner with gravy and meat juices down her new top! I mean I wouldn’t have them any other way! They are all incredible and I love them dearly (That includes the family that don’t eat with us on this day).
13. Christmas playlists, so im almost guaranteed that as soon as December 1st hits – I’ll have my Spotify Christmas playlist on while I cook, clean, bath, on our way too and from work. I love to make a festive coffee, turn my music on and spend an afternoon wrapping gifts. Fun fact – my favourite Christmas song is; The Pogues & Kirsty Maccoll – Fairytale Of New York.
14. Dog walks in the cold crisp weather, this year was amazing as we had a decent amount of snow – we managed to walk little Keeks up to the lakes and feed the ducks – I love wrapping up warm and going for a nice walk with the girl. We live in the valleys so no matter what weather it always looks beautiful, it eases my anxiety and reminds me of all the things I should be grateful for – its nice at Christmas time to get away from all the madness just for that short time and take everything in.
15. Gingerbread – I love gingerbread!! Starbucks Gingerbread Latte, gingerbread men, I make delicious gingerbread cupcakes (I like them anyway!) – and I find at Christmas time everyone dabbles with a bit of gingerbread – even Mr Kipling spices things up with his gingerbread whirls (Also delish!) So yeah – gingerbread is another reason I LOVE the festive period!
Im going to go get myself all cosy with the tree lights on and a Christmas pud now – leave me some comments telling me what you love about the festive season.